Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Buy for the Dividends



I buy stocks only if they pay dividends. This is the only time I agree with Kevin O'Leary on all things investing. He has often bellowed out through his years on TV that he only buys stocks that pay dividends.

Having said that you can trust he doesn't own any FAANG stocks or crypto currencies or pot stocks.

Dividends Matter



It is that underlying dividend that will support the stock when the market goes sideways. It's not the only investing strategy out there but it's one I find exciting and I love seeing that deposit into my trading account every month or quarter.

It's also a lot of fun looking for dividend paying growth stocks and researching for how long they have paid a dividend.

I'm a retiree so I invest for cash flow. Cash flow is king in my world and I submit it should be a tactic that all investor/speculators can and should follow.

You buy a cow for the milk it produces, you buy a chicken for the eggs it produces and you buy a common stock for the dividends it produces. It always supports the price of the stock. Dividends matter and so does the price you originally pay for the cow, chicken and stock.

Always look for a sale, just like you would scan your app looking for a sale on your favorite coffee. You don't buy the coffee when it's at it's most expensive price would you? No, you wait for a better price before buying.

"Shop for stocks like you do for stocks". - Jason Zweig

CU.TO  Canadian Utilities has paid a dividend for the last 40 years straight and increased it every year. That is a tremendous record of payment and a stock to own for retirees in my opinion. Dividends and the yield it pays to you as an investor is what matters. I own CU across multiple accounts and you could do no worse owning dividend paying utility stocks in your own portfolio.

Always search for stocks that pay dividends and never ever sell them!

4 comments:

  1. "It is that underlying dividend that will support the stock when the market goes sideways."
    Just made the same type of comment at Marks site when Grant said "But if you had been living in Japan? Not so much."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words to invest by that's for sure. Thanks cannew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not what I was thinking when I heard it was about ballet #scaredofswansnow Crypto news

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, what kind of anti-spam plugin do you use for your blog.`”\";~ equipment

    ReplyDelete